Tuesday, December 30, 2014

See that you serve Him with all your heart

So for the new year I have decided to study a subject from cover to cover in the Book of Mormon.

Yesterday I was listening to an awesome talk on marriage and the speaker said that there are over 400 references to heart in the Book of Mormon. I decided that that would be our first study as a family.

We found 3 references in the first chapter of Nephi already.

1 Nephi 1:1 Nephi talks about his "many afflictions" but yet how blessed he is from the Lord. He was blessed to know the mysteries of God and the Goodness of God. This said "Grateful Heart" to me. I was also studying for my young women's lesson today and this reminded me of a really great question in one of the talk.

"Do you remember the first time you knew there was a God and could feel His love?" 

Robert D. Hales, “Eternal Life—to Know Our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 80–82

 This is where I talk about the answer to this question for me

1 Nephi 1:5 Lehi prayed with all his heart- I asked myself 2 questions.

1. Have I ever prayed with all my heart? The answer was yes when I really wanted something or when I was hurting. The second question was

2. How can I increase the amount I pray with all my heart? This reminded me of one of my goals for this year to have a kneeling morning and night personal prayer. Kneeling helps me focus on what I am doing and not get distracted. It also helps me to pray more earnestly and with all my heart. I am also going to try to pray my gratitude with all my heart not just my needs and wants.
Yesterday, a day I have prayed for with all my heart for 7 years finally came, and I was able to work my last day out of the home since 2007. It was a good day and on my way home I prayed with all my heart sincere gratitude for the deliverance and goodness of God in my life that he would bless me to be home again with my children and serve them full time.

1 Nephi 1:15 Lehi's heart was filled with rejoicing in the Goodness of God

Last night on my way home from my last shift in 7 years my heart was filled with gratitude that I could finally quit working outside of the home. That God, as He had promised when I felt commanded to return to work, had provided a deliverance and given me a way to come home. It seemed like the day would never come many times over the last 7 years. But I realized  that God had carried me through His command to work and blessed me all along. God is good to me!

Loved this as a parting testimony from Elder Holland

"I testify that my witness of these things is true and that the heavens are open to all who seek the same confirmation. Through the Holy Spirit of Truth, may we all know “the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom [He has] sent"

Jeffrey R. Holland, “The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Hath Sent,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2007, 40–42

No comments:

Post a Comment