Thursday, November 20, 2014

Happiness by Elder Paul Roberts- my missionary

So Mondays have become my favorite day of the week. Ever since Dec 11, 2013 when we dropped my son Paul off in the Missionary Training center to go to Mexico to serve and love the people there.

Here are pictures of that day

Provo Temple across the street from the Missionary training center. Paul is in the middle

So what does this have to do with my change in feelings about Mondays, that is the day that I get to hear from my missionary. It is the only contact I have with him for 2 years except for a phone call/skype call on Mothers day and Christmas (now you know the Christmas present I am really looking forward to this year as well :) 

I wanted to share with you my favorite messages from the last year

1. http://elderroberts1213to1215.blogspot.com/2014/10/happiness-is-purpose-of-this-life.html

"I have felt God's love, I have felt God's happiness and comfort for me in really hard times. I have felt the Lord's love for others and I am coming to finally understand that happiness is only gained through Jesus Christ. Christ is our way to being happy and I know that now. I cannot fight against the nature of God (Nature of Happiness) and expect to be happy. I know that I and my investigators can only be as happy as we are willing to let ourselves be, and that is by letting Christ show us how it's done and then doing it His way."

2. http://elderroberts1213to1215.blogspot.com/2014/09/remember-worth-of-souls-is-great-in.html

"we taught a lesson to a guy who has recently had a TON of family problems, and he's pretty angry at God right now. He wants to know how, if God really loved him, He could let all this happen. We started talking to him about how trials are for our ultimate benefit, if we can just learn from them, and finally to finish up because honestly we weren't making a lot of headway with this guy, we just shared a simple scripture, that is now one of my favorites. DC 18:10-11. He read the first verse through super fast just to get this lesson over with, then he finished it and his eyes got really big and he read it again under his breath, and then he started to cry. The Spirit was so strong as this man realized in one simple, easy verse he is worth something, God did care. The feeling was so humbling and so comforting.

DC 18:10 - Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;

It's one sentence that sums up our purpose both as children of God and as missionaries. I was so humbled as not only this man got the answer he needed, but I also got a reminder from my Heavenly Father why I'm here"

3. http://elderroberts1213to1215.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-to-be-happy-serving-lord.html


"The biggest lesson I learned in this past transfer though was how to love my mission. After lessons with people that "are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it" - you love your mission. When you see people opening up, and deciding to finally make steps towards God - you love your mission. When you find people that are just doing the best they can with what they have been given and you can help them along - you love your mission. When you speak in Spanish for an hour and a half like its no big deal - you love your mission. When you learn how to really teach the gospel in a way that is personal and is the only way to bring them to Christ - you love your mission. When you put in everything, EVERYTHING you can the Lord makes up the rest - and you love your mission.
I'm so glad I had the past transfer in an area that was, for the most part, closed off to the restored gospel. It helped me to dig in and find out how to be a better instrument every day in my Savior's hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment