Sunday, November 16, 2014

Highlight: Receiving a Testimony of Light and Truth


"Your personal testimony of light and truth will not only bless you and your posterity here in mortality, but it will also accompany you throughout all eternity."

"It was less than a century ago that most astronomers assumed that our Milky Way galaxy was the only galaxy in the universe. They supposed all that lay beyond our galaxy was an immense nothingness, an infinite void—empty, cold, and devoid of stars, light, and life."


Receiving a testimony of Light and truth

"Let us acknowledge that most often gaining a testimony is not a task of a minute, an hour, or a day. It is not once and done. The process of gathering spiritual light is the quest of a lifetime. Your testimony of the living Son of God and His restored Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, may not come as quickly as you desire, but I promise you this: if you do your part, it will come. And it will be glorious."


Here is my testimony:

I have learned for my self that this is God's church. I have learned through my own experience that God is good and very personally involved with our lives. He wants to bless us and give us all that He has. He wants us to be happy.

In working as a pediatric nurse for the last 20 years I have been involved in the loss of many children. Each time this tragedy happens I am forced to look again at my faith and hope in God. When a child dies it is unfair, it is a huge loss, the sorrow is so great for the family and any who love that family or that child. After a particularly hard loss my son asked me "How can you believe in a God who lets children die?" This is a question you have to address each time death happens it never gets easier but my answer to Him and to me is "How can you not?" All that is left if you don't believe in God and His goodness is never ending pain and sorrow. Hope is all there is to hang on to.

Two messages of hope have been a great comfort to me. One is  “All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” this was shared in our recent annual women's meeting. I loved this because I know that there are things in this mortal life that are just not fair.
My children say "That's not fair" all the time.  I have loved the comfort and hope that comes from telling them just because it is unfair now doesn't mean it always will be.

The second message that brings me comfort is that this is the second act of a 3 act play. Before we came to earth we lived in heaven and some of our choices there influence where we are born here. And any good writer knows that the second act is where the conflict and climax are.  All that is tragedy and sorrow happen in the second act. In a good play and in life we have to wait for the 3rd act to find the resolution to problems and the scales to be balanced. We just can't see the end but that doesn't mean that God doesn't.

I am a living witness of the very personal and sure love of God for His children. He has given me very personal and unique answers to my prayers.

I love the Temple and know it is the house of God on the earth today. I can feel His love and know His will when I am there.

I love the guidance and direction of the commandments they really keep us safe and I have loved having a sure guide to raising my children in this world that grows ever more wicked each day. I love the scriptures and try to immerse myself in them every day, just as I need to eat daily. I need to learn the word of God found in the scriptures daily.




No comments:

Post a Comment