Sunday, April 5, 2015

Lessons from April 2015 General Conference

"Are your eyes open?"

Here are my thoughts and inspirations for my life this weekend from General Conference. It was a great weekend and many personal questions I have had were answered and I had many ideas for goals in all areas of my life. I love the opportunity to rejoice with the Saints and listen to the Prophets and Seers who are assigned to teach us all.

First my desire to sustain the Prophet was increased by the 5 people who opposed him. I realized that sustaining the prophet was in my heart and I wanted to support and defend him in his heavy burden to teach the people of this generation. Here is an article and I agree with DaNell Roberts I was saddened by the dissenter's choice to publicly oppose the Prophet because of their dissatisfaction with being heard. The voting is for questions of worthiness and not for a personal platform to get attention and publicity for your cause.

http://fox13now.com/2015/04/04/5-hands-among-thousands-mark-rare-votes-of-dissent-during-lds-churchs-general-conference/

Second in a talk today I was given personal counsel for my family and in my calling to teach the youth. It came from a reference to the scripture 2 Kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

I have always loved this story but have always focused on the part about the angel hosts coming to the rescue of the prophet and protecting him.  But today I realized there was counsel for parents and teachers of youth. There was a second miracle that the young man's eyes were opened to see the angels. To have the veil parted so he could have greater faith and hope. This is what I want for my children and the youth in my stewardship. I will be praying this for them daily. "Please open their eyes that they may see thee, and light and truth."

General women's conference

It has been 20 years since we were given the inspired counsel from the Family a Proclamation to the world. I had 2 children at the time one 3 years old and one just 2. It was a busy time for our family and the proclamation has been a great source of guidance and direction in raising my children. It came at a time that the doctrines taught in it were generally accepted by all including the media. It has been shocking to me to see each thing in the Proclamation challenged publicly and with great venom in my sons lifetime. What a blessing is the clear and direct teachings in the proclamation! So grateful to have it given to me so early in my motherhood.

Loved the object lesson in Cheryl A. Esplin's talk about the two pop cans. Loved the idea of being full and that protecting you from being crushed by the pressures of life. Was personally inspired that the way I am best filled is by attending the temple every week.

"When we are filled with light and truth we cannot be crushed."

"Effort and time are required to fill our homes and hearts with light and truth."

"Need time to think-not so distracted- she received personal revelation."

"Do not bury your testimony in the ground."

Personal challenge- Write down your testimony and share it everywhere you can do not let it buried with you.

Family Challenge- Need to create more quiet time for our family to be filled with light and truth

The talk by Carole M. Stephens reminded me that we are all needed in the family of God. Each is important and needed. She reminded me through the story of Sister Yazzie that motherhood has no boundaries and that I need to expand my influence for good to all who need me to nurture and mother them.

"She is grandmother to everyone."

"God needs us to be one- united in our covenants."

Sis Oscarson reminded me of a RS lesson I was in many years ago where the teacher said "I think women and daughters of God can be fearless warriors in the war of truth when it is necessary." She was a small woman but when she said it I could feel the power of her spirit and feared for her enemies. I knew she was right and women have a power to defend truth.

"Weak, trembling, fearless girl." Missionaries are under my protection.

I loved the story of Marie protecting the missionaries from the mob intent on their bodily harm. I loved the strength of her standing at the door and wondered if I would be able to be that brave when it is my turn? Wondered if I could defend the truth and find that kind of courage.

"How little we knew 20 years ago how much we would need the "Proclamation on the family".

"Be defenders of the proclamation to the world just like Marie."

"If it is the Lord's plan- it should also be our plan."

Personal challenge: Model righteous marriages and families. Live the proclamation to the best of my ability.

"Teach your children that the roles of Motherhood and Fatherhood are eternally important and there is no greater honor than that of Parenthood."

"Every child should feel that they are the most important priority for their parents."

"One cannot forget mother and remember God."

"Role of the Homemaker- Defend the sanctity of the home. Create a home of refuge, order, where scriptures are studied."

"Protect and defend home as second only to the temple in Holiness."

"Call to arms. 3 things to Protect- marriage, parenthood, and the home."

"Filled with light and truth you cannot be crushed"

No comments:

Post a Comment