Friday, January 29, 2016

What desirest thou?

What desirest thou? is the question Nephi is asked by the Angel when he is taken away to a high mountain in response to his desire to understand the vision of the Tree of Life that his father Lehi had seen. (1 Nephi 11)

I have been pondering this question in my own life and wondering if I was asked the same question what would my answer be? What do I desire? Like Nephi do I desire to understand more fully and more personally the words of the prophets? Like Nephi do I put forth the effort to  inquire of the Lord (1 Nephi 15:8)? or like Lamen and Lemuel do I think the things that the prophets ask are Hard (1 Nephi 16:1)?

And in a broader sense what if the real test of this life is that question. What desirest thou? What if that is the true test of our discipleship and probation is the answer to that question? 

Our desires are an important test of our heart and the dedication or lack there of to the Lord. 

Alma discusses the importance of desire at the judgement bar here:

Alma 41:5

5 The one raised to happiness according to his desires of happiness, or good according to his desires of good; and the other to evil according to his desires of evil; for as he has desired to do evil all the day long even so shall he have his reward of evil when the night cometh.

This desire is certainly one that would help you gain mastery of your other desires?

3 Nephi 19:9

9 And they did pray for that which they most desired; and they desired that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them.
And this certainly discusses righteous desires to do good and help others.
8 Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be done unto you; and, if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation.
This desire is a good place to begin when you find the truth to be hard.

Alma 32:27

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

Here is a list of my desires at this time. 

Rest, Peace, Order, Healing, Light, Truth, Cleanliness, Energy, Purpose and mission driven, deep connection to eternal identity and heritage, Unity in my marriage and family. Consistent revelation


No comments:

Post a Comment